Monday, March 30, 2009

Never the Same Again


The job is done...sort of.

We have finished working at Deborah's House...for now. We did all of the construction we could in a week and we have left. The exterior walls are up and most of the interior walls are finished. A big chunk of the second story is framed but its not complete.

But when is the job really done? Even if we had finished all of the framing someone still has to install the electrical wiring and the plumbing. Rooms need sheet rock and paint. Stairs have to be built and the roof laid.

After this building is done, the next phase can begin. A house is needed for the Resident Manager. The next large building is needed for offices and training. An entire apartment complex needs to be erected.

And the ministry continues everyday...women and children need support and love. Meals need to be cooked and laundry done. Children need to go to school. New homes need to be found, counseling offered, trainings presented.
As I write this from my Oregon home on Monday I am reflecting on the success of our trip. In the last 2 days I have slept a total of 23 hours. My bags are unpacked and most of the laundry is done. Our great Mexican adventure is over...or is it?

Our hearts have been changed by this experience. We have loved until it hurt. Our eyes have seen the need. Our arms are sore from hugging and swinging hammers, building bonds of love and support. The same jewelry adorns our necks and the necks of precious Mexican women and children. The beads string a connection of love. We are bonded together in a way that can only happen in the Kingdom of God!

The trip is finished but we will never be the same again. We cannot be satisfied with our current lives. There is a restlessness with the status quo. How can we consume so much when people we love have so little?

Nelson Henderson said, "The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit." We have worked this week for the benefit of others and yet we have gained so much ourselves.






I'm resting in the comfort of my life knowing full well that this is only half time. God has stirred our hearts and we will not be content until we are back to planting trees.

"Just say the word, Lord. I'm rested up and my passport's ready!"
Tim Moore

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Tim. I count it a privilege to be a piece of the larger puzzle. I count it all joy that I get to take part in Kingdom living - sharing hope and grace to God's children. I am a better person having had this chance of driving nails, being exhausted, being taken out of my comfort zone, laughing and crying for the sake of Jesus. My life will never be the same and for that I am grateful!

    ReplyDelete